Touch Bionics unveils next generation of prosthetic hand with powered thumb rotation
Company announces global availability of i-limb™ ultra revolution and latest biosim™ mobile application
Touch Bionics today announced a significant advance to the company's groundbreaking i-limb™ technology. The i-limb ultra revolution, featuring a powered rotating thumb, 24 grip options and extra sensitive electrodes, is the first upper limb prosthesis that can be controlled via a mobile application.
"We are pleased to introduce the i-limb ultra revolution and the latest biosim mobile control app," said Ian Stevens, CEO of Touch Bionics. "We believe that the i-limb ultra revolution,with powered thumb rotation and the ability to quickly access multiple grip patterns, offers unparalleled dexterity and control, enabling wearers to more easily perform activities of daily living and thus increase their quality of life."
The powered rotation of the thumb can be either controlled directly by the wearer's muscle signals, or can move automatically into position as part of a pre-set grip pattern or gesture. The new Quick Grips™ option from the biosim mobile control app allows the user to automatically activate 24 different grip patterns and gestures on their prosthesis with a single tap of the screen.
"The i-limb ultra revolution is the most advanced, and easy to use prosthesis that I have ever worn," said Bertolt Meyer, i-limb wearer. "Powered thumb rotation, combined with the mobile app and quick access to all these new grips, gives me natural hand function that I never imagined would be possible."
i-limb ultra revolution features:
- Powered rotating thumb and individually articulating fingers offering unparalleled dexterity and reliable access to precision grip patterns.
- New biosim mobile control application compatible with latest Apple® products gives the wearer greatly expanded control capability via 24 Quick Grips each from a single screen tap.
- New remote electrodes offer a higher level of sensitivity giving the wearer enhanced control.
- A variety of flexible wrist options enabling more natural positioning of hand when gripping or picking up objects.
- Aesthetic covering options available via the livingskin product line, including i-limb skin natural and i-limb skin match covers customized to match skin tone and appearance.
biosim mobile control app features:
- 24 Quick Grips - Instant access to grip patterns with a single screen tap greatly expands prosthesis control.
- Favorites - Editable collections of grips customized for daily needs. For example, wearers can select the 'work' favorite, which triggers the i-limb into preferred grips such as typing, holding papers, or using a mouse.
- Hand Health Check - Activates prosthesis diagnostic to ensure the i-limb is functioning properly.
- Training - Access training modes to help the wearer learn how to access all of the functionality available.
- Compatibility - Available for download on Apple App Store and compatible with several Apple devices.
Support for Clinicians
All new i-limb products are supported by the Touch Care™ service and support package, Touch Link™ Academy certification program, on-site occupational therapy training, and reimbursement support services.